Search This Blog


Tuesday, July 13, 2010

What you do not know? …

Well everyone has been wondering …hey, what happened with Babe Ruth?



Well people let me say from Wednesday ‘s Interview which really went very good as I asked allot of Questions and really got down to earth real answers from what I will call really down to earth very talented musicians.

Okay at 11:15, I left my place riding my bike with a little over 35 lbs on my back in my large knapsack, all my gear, and it was like 45 degrees out with the humidity I rode all the way to the interview, which was in old Aylmer. I got there at 12:55 the interview was to start at 1pm while the band was having lunch. I quickly set up and got a bit of the practice on video, ahhh the start of a great documentary on one of the greatest British bands from the 70’s which I had a big part of getting them to Canada, because of my very high interest in the British Music scene. I even brought the first Babe Ruth Album in mint condition to the interview to get them to sign it and tell them the story of how I obtained it three days before it was on the racks in the record stores.



I explained what I was doing after seeing a film of the punk scene in Vancouver with the video, plus that I was trying to get them some gigs to expand the tour in Calgary, Vancouver, and Victoria.

I left the interview at around 3pm again with all my gear on my back and filled up water bottles and rode down to the Chad Bridge crossing it into Ottawa down Island Park Drive. I get to almost Carling ave...you see I had to bike to bank and Hunt Club to pick up a ticket for that nights Bluesfest I was so happy and excited yes indeed as if you knew me like my close friends do about what was buzzing in my head all the cool ideas and how I wanted to do this documentary.

Well I did not have to bike all that way in the end and ended up going to Bluesfest I did drop some of my stuff at my friend’s place, to lighten my load.

So then I rode back home around 1 am to my place getting home at 2:15 and I dropped as soon as I saw my bed. I was a dead man, but a happy and content.


Of course Thursday was yet another day I will get to again spend time with the band as they were going to play a closed private concert that night and I was to be there at 8pm, I took one of my friends who is in the picture of Babe Ruth performing back in 74.

We got there a few minutes before and proceeded to have a drink at the bar, then we went into the theatre part to watch a three-piece band that did all cover tunes. They actually are quite good at doing them too, they actual do the Mexican damn close to Babe Ruth which Alan Shacklock noted as he said “This is the future.”

Well then Babe Ruth took the stage and played allot of their set list and I have to say I got them on video for the documentary and recorded it off the floor using Reaper Recording software, shame I was using the mikes from the puter. However, listening to it later I thought I did a good job as I did a few tricks to the recording …thank you Recording Institute of America.

Yes indeed Babe Ruth are back I thought and more ideas were flowing through the old brain again, this time thinking the documentary, but now thinking hmmm take the recording of the Mexican mix it down even maybe put my own hip hop spin on it. With cuts from what I had, video taped so far you know, the interview, and now this night and I was thinking the next three nights of the tour.

Well I was told that there would be a band pass for me at Bluesfest, So here I was at home and doing stuff to get prepared for that night answering allot of emails from 5:15 am when I awoke from going to bed at 2am. My email was going crazy friends and others asking me about if they can meet the band or if I could get them in. I told those that they had to buy a ticket, as I had no control on that SORRY! For the ones asking can I meet them I told them that after the show they would probably be at the autograph tent?

I left my place to take the bus into town at around 9:30am as I wanted also to do an run to my old neighbourhood to see the progress on my house that I grew up in as on the 2nd I saw it for the last time because when I got there it was gone demolished now. I stood on my street in front where my house use to be my knees buckled and I started shaking as if I was getting ready to faint. Therefore, I stopped myself from fainting as I sat on the side of the road put my head in between my knees to get the blood flowing again of course when I raised my head up my eyes welled up and the tears flowed. I felt erased indeed. I left Ortona Avenue and got to the site around 4:15 I went to see about my band pass at the bluesfest offices. They gave me a general admission pass and told me to go over to the subway stage to see about my band pass. So I go over and ask a few people volunteers where I can find the stage manager. Now this is where it started because I must have asked six volunteers. All saying they do not know, then I see the people with the question mark t-shirts who carry signs ask me? Okay so I ask a bunch of them also answer was the same I do not know. Then I was starting to think holy shit these people have no clue of what is going on let alone know anything. I then start thinking holy crap that is good you hire people as volunteers and yet you do not inform them of anything important…Can I make a suggestion here to Mark Monahan Mr. Hollywood. Just a suggestion for next years NOT FOR PROFIT Bluesfest. I suggest that with some of that cash that the city of Ottawa gives to the festival and how much was that this year, whereas the Jazzfest got no funding at all and have been doing it longer then Bluesfest, well I suggest that you make a handbook for the volunteers that have no clue because of lack of communication. Yes that big word COMMUNICATION. Make a handbook on the most asked questions. Like where things are? the whole info for the volunteers . So people do not get frustrated at the lack of information.



Finally, I was told to wait at the front of the stage where the stage managers trailer was I was told he would be out to see me in twenty minutes. Okay so I wait and wait with my bowler hat on still waiting, it starts raining hmm not good for a bowler hat. Waited an hour being a little streamed as I was getting soaked in the rain that was falling. Then a rent a cop SECURITY took me backstage where I met both Dave Pinshon and Dave Hewitt, they told me that they were having band meetings and they had to go to it end they had no control over the band pass and to get a hold of Roche Pariesin. Okay I say but I knew then that something was up’. I knew! Just call it my strong relationship with my inner beliefs. Nevertheless, before I left presented them with a beautiful photograph of B.B. King, which I took at the opening of the Hard Rock Café in Beijing on May 14th 1994. Asking them to give it to Jenny Haan as a thank you to her for her kindness and letting me be part of the exciting reunion of one of my favourite bands. I will point out here also that I had been communicating with Janita for many months before. Now everybody saw the promo posters I did which I did to PROMOTE the shows, I had put them on line on my facebook accounts and started to promo the three shows that they the band was calling their reunion tour. Janita even said in an email to me “That’s wicked” and then the rest of the band also sent messages saying they were awesome etc. Even then, I asked Janita about doing an interview with the band. She said there should be no problem but to get a hold of the booking agency and the promoter, which I did, sending emails to both.One did not answer and Roche did. We arranged the interview whereas he asked me if I would be interested in videotaping the bands shows and if I would be interested in shooting some promo pictures. I told him then that I still shoot on film and have not gone the digital route yet. But informed him about a fellow filmmaker who also shoots photos telling him that he has won several awards, one of which was a photo of my left hand , yes the world famous Frog paw (from the Ren and Stimpy episode Ren seeks Help.) or as many of my friends call it the Craw.

I told him that I would call him and ask him to see if he would be interested in doing the shoot. Now again I will mention that I told Roche that I would ask him and get back to him shortly. Well behind my back Roche goes on facebook finds my friend then emails him and starts asking through facebook about doing it. Well my friend who is very busy with a television production at the time, calls me up and starts telling me that this Roche person is trying to get him to do the photo shoot, I explained to him thee situation, he was mad that this person went over my head and started communicating without any knowledge to me. My friend said he would check to see if he could do it. Awhile later, he called me back and said he was just too busy. Then he asked me not to put his name out there and that he would do his own stuff like me. I totally understood, as we are both independent filmmakers. So now, I started thinking about this and how I told him I would take care of it. Yet he took it on himself to go and get in touch with my friend on his own. Next time ask.

When I did get back to him he then informed me that he had been in touch with this big fan from Montreal who owns his own production company in Montreal and that he would be doing the shoot and doing what he said a three camera to four camera shoot. so I was not needed for the video shoot, but that if I wanted I could shoot the shows and maybe contribute to this guys stuff to, I agreed and said would like to meet with the guy MoMo.

I will point out here that he also informed me the band had no budget for promo. That was weird I thought, but I was not asking for any money. I was even ready to go and rent outta my own pocket three hi end professional video cameras. For a three camera shoot and I was going to hire two fellow filmmakers from the film and video club. Believe me folks I was doing my research on the cameras to, so in retrospect I was ready to shoot the three shows free for the band. Where I would rent the equipment out of my own pocket.

I will also mention also that if I would have had a little extra cash I would have got the promo posters done in a batch from a printer.



Well I did go and get Black and White copies of the promo posters and then took the time outta my busy day to go and poster down Bank Street and Elgin Street. Something I did for shows at Barrymores Music Hall back in the day. Which by the way should have been the practice hall for the band seeing it was voted many times the best live venue in North America many times. Oh yeah I should also mention here that this was also a bit of a screw up as at first Roche told me the band would be practicing in the basement of Irene’s Pub on Bank Street in the Glebe, and that the private concert would be there. I was sworn to the secret. Now knowing the person who does the bookings of bands for Irene’s I thought of getting a hold of him as I had this idea of a photo exhibit which I am calling 4/6 Music time. In my mind would also promote Bluesfest because the photos I am using are all photos I have shot over the years at Bluesfest for various magazines. I am hoping to display it somewhere soon.

So now, I am hearing all the crap going on and I again offer my services in a friendly manner… Each time having something else explained to me, then my thoughts were like this guy is all over the map and looks like he’s about to have a nervous breakdown. So I now call him it was a little after 6pm now, he answers and informs me he is not there yet? And would call me later, he did not. Then I see him and he proceeds to tell me that I cannot get a band pass and that the general admission was my pass...oh so now I am just a fan? I ask then if it is okay to film the show from the crowd he tells me yes go ahead but respect the band and do not but any thing up without permission. I totally agree. Nothing was said at that time about the little snippet I had put up on youtube about 22 seconds in length. However, Alan had emailed me about respecting the band and asked that I do not put any video or audio up. I emailed him back, agreed, and asked him at that time if indeed he wanted me to take the short clip. Which I thought was a great way to promote the upcoming shows. I did not get a reply so I thought okay not sure on that one but still thought it would excite people who knew Babe Ruth so that those people would spread the word which is still the best way and oldest way of promotions, word of mouth. As I found out at the show a lot of people there who had never heard of them even back in their hey day.



Therefore, with just hours before the show I decided to go and finally eat something seeing I had not eaten yet... making my way back to the subway stage, I stood close to the stage on the side that Alan was on, listening to Canada’s own God! Gord Downie…

He did his last song. I then looked all around the place was packed for the return of Babe Ruth here I was feeling PROUD that I again was making this band known for those unfortunate ones and the younger ones who didn’t know them.

I then started to take out my camera stuff. But as I was doing this, this weirdo woman who was with another woman and man starts grabbing my ass every time I lean over to get into my knapsack. On the third time, I stand up and jokingly I say “Look Lady I got no ass to grab, and laughed…as I was wearing my Spiderman shirt she just started singing Spiderman. Instant thought CRAZY! So I go back to my knapsack again she pinches my ass and this time hard. I will say here my ass was sore from all the bike riding I had done in the last few days. I stood up but thought ignore ignore she will get the message. Again, bend over to my knapsack again pinch this time really hard near my nuts. I turn around I am PISSED now! In addition, say “Lady you pinch my ass again and I am going to punch your Fing lights out! The guy steps in saying its all-good it\s just fun... I disagreed and told him control the bitch or else see what happens. My temper was starting to flare up at this time.

The Band come out video camera stats taping show. Then about seven minutes into the show first rent a cop comes up to me (everybody loves a rent a cop). Saying no filming I explain to him I have permission from Roche and he asks where is my pass I inform him I did not get one. He says again stop shooting I again say I have permission, and ask him if he would like to see proof he says yeah like he was king cop so into my knapsack I go and get the tape out and how him part of the concert from the night before. I say does that look like the same person playing the bass up there. He looks at stage looks at camera and goes YEAH! I said well? He said sorry and left... of course I have just missed shooting some great clips. Through the corner of my eye I see my. Rent a cop standing near the entrance gates with a few other rent a cops. Therefore, I think okay he is informing them that this person over there is shooting for the band, which was my full intention.

Well not five minutes later another rent a cop who was standing there comes over to pull his heavy on me, I say did the other person not explain this to you because I saw you talking to him, he denied he was talking to him. So here, we go again put camera down get tape out again to show this rent a cop proof. While I am getting my stuff out my camera case flies out with my power chord, TV cables in it was being really hassled by him, and yes, I was getting pissed. Only because I was missing great shots of Alan do his solo and believe me from what I heard and saw of that really sorry I missed filming it… it’s that type of guitar playing that really moves me internally and makes me happy. So Mr. Rent a Cop was still pulling his heavy on me so I said I would go with him to confirm it but hell I did not want to miss this show this is why I was here... So I said to myself, screw it this person is being a complete A-hole. Went to get my camera bag to put camera away thinking how I would tell the band after the show… Then I noticed camera bag was snagged as I looked for that bag after the show till 2:30 checking the area, garbage cans and the lost and found, to no avail …so here I was now Really getting pissed off and really trying to hold it in but I lost it and in a very unprofessional manner . But do you blame me?



Well then the show ends the band announces that they will be at the autograph tent for their fans. I figure that will take awhile after they leave thee stage so I thought have time to look for bag. Looked and; looked like I said.

So finally I head over to the tent and I see Roche, I go up to him and he says he’ll see me in a few minutes...thought yeah okay…he runs away to do what he had to do. Then I see Jen being driven up to the tent on the Bluesfest Golf Carts….I look at her and she goes right by as if I wasn’t there, as she was going by I said to her you ere awesome and you killed them…She like I said went right by me. Thought that was weird cold shoulder treatment?

Then a few moments later Roche comes up to me and starts asking me what happened and all the shit that went down had got back to the band, him saying it was unprofessional and yes I agreed and offered my apologies saying I thought I would have a band pas for the shoot from the side of the stage. He then goes on to explain that the reason I did not get the pass was that as he said THE BAND thinks you’re just an over Zealous fan… Excuse ME! WTF! Is that? I have been promoting this reunion for a good three months before the date and then I am told that I am an over zealous fan… OKAY! So then, I say I guess the band hates me now. And if I should go and apologise to them all individual, he said they do not want to see you now and that it would be a bad idea at the time...okay I say then I will send them an email. He says good idea. Okay at this point I was extremely hurt by this and with other things as per mentioned my day had not gone good call it Karma …it is that date…. Something about it?



So later after much thought I decided to email Alan first and offer my deepest apology. Thinking I would await a reply before I email the rest of the band. Well as of this writing, I have not heard a peep... not even a thanks from Janita for the present I left for her… Isn’t that great gratitude eh?



Well people I will tell you right now this mishap has really turned me off Babe Ruth as it reminds me of my good friend who hates U2 only because of a bad experience when we saw them the first time they played Ottawa and yes it was at Barrymores.

So in other words the stuff I have of Babe Ruth is never going to see the light of day now too bad

And as for the band well good luck …



As for myself well I will now never return to the Bluesfest again as we say in Italian…CMF!!!. And as one of my radio mentors says on his show. “ Welcome to the island of insanity.”

2 comments:

  1. I have to say I thought they sounded like crap the female singer sounded like she had noids in her throat. Tom you really have bad taste in music LOL....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to agree with you the people there have no clue???? I to had to ask about ten people, I totally agree they should make a handbook for those morons....as far as Banbe Ruth yeah they get my vote best geezers yet....and oh yeah your absolutely should be called GeezerFest..Love the name man... Rock on!

    ReplyDelete