Search This Blog


Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Fourth of July the Greatest Holiday in the U.S.A.


Well to all my aunts, uncles, cousins, my oldest brother Bob and all my friends, fans, and all great Americans Happy Fourth of July. Ah, yes the coolest holiday of the year. When I lived in Arlington, Virginia from 1984 to 1987, I had the opportunity to witness 4 July. The first year there went to The Mall and wow all I have to say is it was insane, people coming together proud and free, it was a PARTY. I was lucky thanks to my ex spouse, and relatives, as I got to get backstage and meet some of the performers of the day well I did got to meet Joan Jett and The Blackhearts,



However The Beach Boys were sort of off on the other side of the backstage antics. However, it was cool to meet Joan, as I was a big fan even before the movie she did with fellow Canadian Michael J. Fox. The whole day as I think back was a complete blur, as I was feeling the vibe and loving it because of my love for America.



My love actually came about from those family visits we made by car dad driving all night and all day, mom didn’t drive at that time so it was six to eight people in the car, Dad, driving me beside dad, Mom on passenger side or Peggy my step grandmother, depended on who called Shotgun LOL… yeah right! Then it was Bob, MaryJane, Dave and one or both sisters of Peggy, Jo and Annie. In the back seat, remember this was during the late 50’s and 60’s. Those American Cars were BIG back then. We would travel to Washington D.C. to see the Grace side of my dad’s side and with what they had and the people who they worked for just fascinated me to no end. I wanted to be an American period.



Yes, my Aunt Loretta was a big influence at that early age and I could see how much respect that my dad had for her after all she was probably the closest sister to my dad’s mom and not really knowing at that time about my grandmother on dad’s side. As my grandmother died from the TB outbreak in the 20’s she passed away when my dad was just five years old. Then meeting all my relatives down there, it was cool cousins and all.



We also have relatives too from my mom’s side and we would travel to Buffalo, New York to visit my aunt Dot and Uncle Jack with all the cousins. Oh and they made me more to be an American. One thing I remember from the house was the laundry shoots to the washroom in the basement. In each bedroom, there was a door on the wall asked my cousin what that door leads to and he told me and showed me... I thought “How genius is that... no more dirty clothes on the floor, mom and dad wouldn’t be yelling at us to clean our rooms if all houses had these...and also Garbage disposals…Yes indeed if you really think about it was the start of the technology age.



Of course the fondest memories I have are all the vacation trips we would take to Syracuse, New York which was usually the last days of summer right after the Ottawa Ex would end as Dad had just shown ten days of Flower shows where he made a good little extra cash as I also would earn some cash in the children’s classes.

Well after the Ex dad would then arrange the trip to Syracuse, he would usually go with one of his best friends Higgy and his family. Dad would drive down to his office on Albert Street go into the office check stuff out then he and I would walk over to the bank on Sparks street and he would get his American money. I have to say I always thought we were rich because dad would like get 5 thousand exchanged of course back then our dollar was worth much more. However, when I use to hear him say, “Five Thousand exchanged into US dollars …It\s strange when you’re that small to think that way Yeah we have such interesting little brains at that age...



Then it was back home, pack the car with empty suitcases a big cooler with a block of ice in it case of beer, a 40 pounder, soft drinks and food mom made. In those days, Drinking behind the wheel was not like today Thank God for that.

We would do the 3-hour drive crossing the border usually at Prescott and we would get on I-81 to Watertown then on to Syracuse. Yes as soon as we were going over the bridge, I felt cool I was an American I thought.



We would always stay at The Jefferson Clinton Hotel

                                  

or if by chance they were full up which happened during the Vietnam war era we would stay at the hotel across from it sorry name slips my mind, but it was at this hotel I got to see my very first colour TV broadcast which was Mitch Millar I was hooked but Dad was probably the last person in our neighbourhood to get a colour television.



We would shop till we dropped for three days and do things of interest, ha have to even say at the age of 16 I even wanted to sign up for the draft, well dad had to explain to me why I was not allowed.



Those are memories of the U.S.A. that I will always remember.



Then in 1984, my spouse and I were cross-posted from Rome, Italy to Washington D.C.

Well after being back in Ottawa to visit the families, we were in the hotel, mom mentioned to me to make sure you call your Aunts and Uncles.

Of course, mom did not let up calling us while we were in the Hotel waiting to find a place to live. She again said call your relatives they might be able to help so I said okay. Well I phone my aunt and we start talking and she informs me that my cousin was getting married the following week and invited us So we go to the wedding and after at the reception, while we were in the line to go in one of my little cousins comes out and says Guess who’s inside I said who as I saw the excitement in her, she says Huey Lewis.



I look at my spouse and say Wow they have Huey Lewis and the News for the entertainment. This was the day after the MTV music awards where Huey and the news had one allot that night. So we get inside and there he is standing up against a wall I go up to him and shake his hand informing him I played his stuff like crazy in Rome on the radio he was at that moment a little shy as he just shook his head and said thanks of course being me I thought okay move on see others so I say “be good to hear you later.” So now, I have to say the reception was in three halls at The University of Maryland. One for socializing, one for dinner and the dance hall. Well we are eating and we hear the music start up and I say to my spouse “Let’s go dance to Huey Lewis and the News. Then we go into the room on stage was an all black band playing the classics to the music of the day. I look and see Huey again against the wall. I go over and say I thought you were playing then he asked me What side are you from I saw that’s my cousin the groom he then says That’s my wife the maid of honour. Therefore, after that it was as we were family. Of course, I was pretty blasted at the reception, and then my aunt asks us back to her house well we go and I rather remember parts of that period talking with my uncle Randy.

Of course, for the next three years I was totally into the American lifestyle.



Then in 1986, my daughter was born in Washington and she was born an American, but also has Canadian and British citizenship. This to me was the ultimate thing to me. I really felt now I have true American in me…NOW...



SO I SAY TO YOU ALL!



Happy Fourth of July! Party!!! Fly the RED, WHITE, and AND BLUE with honour and Pride.





Love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment