Search This Blog


Tuesday, June 22, 2010

You want knowledge then do your homework!

Okay here it is the first day of summer and now it is time to get this blog going because well I am tired of hitting my head against a brick wall, in other words it’s time to take my ingenious idea and put it into full gear.


Therefore, after being in and out of the media world, this includes radio, television, and newspapers. It has come to my immediate attention that indeed the media world has really taken a spiral turn thanks to the information highway.



Therefore, after looking at plan B after Plan A did not work I concluded that from 1997 when this whole thing hatched within me being the station manager of one of the very first internet radio stations on the internet. I now have decided Screw it! With trying the very hardest to get back to the lust of working in the rea I love and flourish, even if I do have a vast knowledge of the music world. As many of my close friends call me the walking encyclopaedia of music… okay I do not like to brag, but this came about from learning the industry at an early age. Which meant I spent allot of money on trade magazines like Rolling Stone. I have script ions from when they started until the late 80’s.I also would buy Melody Maker, Billboard, Variety, Creem, and many others … and I still buy the issues that have real interest to me.



Back a few years ago I got the chance to work for CHUM on a new project that was putting over 200 channels of music on a web site, it was named Bonzaroo.com. It was in effect the idea I thought of back when I got my first computer because I saw the potential that was coming. Guess the constant watching of Star Trek could be a factor of that to.



It seemed everyone working there was or were involved in radio or television who like myself were trying to hold on to their careers that they, like myself put out allot sweat, cash, long nights and lots of studying… and not to forget partying… part of the subject matter when at school.



Well things were looking good and from what I was, hearing this could become a good way of informing people of new music and also opening up areas for unsigned bands, and musicians. Then the unthinkable happened the owner came to the boss and said he was selling Bonzaroo to Standard Broadcasting in Toronto. That to me was the demise of any future in the business.



Of course, Standard offered the people positions in Toronto. My boss asked me if I wanted to continue. Maybe I should have but I am glad in the end I did not. The boss and friend Gary Aube and many others left for Toronto. Of course, as I told Gary, sorry I just do not like Toronto and I had something in the works going anyhow. Therefore, I stayed behind. Then about two years after I receive a call from Gary. At first, I thought maybe he was going to offer me something new as I found out he left Iceberg.com well he had called me to inform me that he and his wife were moving back to his hometown in Bathurst, New Brunswick and that he was retiring. Nevertheless, what he said was an indication of what was happening in Radio. We talked for a while about the way radio is going today. Now like I said before I do consider myself a musicologist in music as I look back and think. Yeah that is what I studied, paid good money to be trained and get the proper schooling and then to have it all taken away because of the way the world is turning now.



The thing that Gary said was and I had to firmly agree with was, “There is no talent left in radio today it’s all salesmen doing everything in radio now.” However, to bad, that is what they are and they are nothing else except Sales people like everyone else. Because think of it people if you look at yourself or the person next to you, we are all sales people because we are constantly selling ourselves. That is a different forum of selling in my books.



Nevertheless, when radio takes on people for their sales and look for someone who can increase revenue then hey that person is going to get the job. However, does he know anything about music NO! That is a very BIG NO! For my part.



A fine example of this took place just yesterday when I did call one of the local stations who wanted people to call in to tell the person on air something. Well I took it a bit farther only because of the subject that the broadcaster was asking about. Well after I told, allot of jokes along the way telling my story. Well the person did not I think get it or just did not care. Man and that to me is not really operating the phones in a professional manner. Hmm something that most PD’s want in a good broadcaster, at least that is the way it was.

This is one area I loved to do because if you wanted listeners then you would be the best friend of theirs on-air and on the phones.



Yes, I do get upset at this. From being a Program Director, I know that to have many listeners and get the best ratings one must know something about the music he or she is playing. This even goes for a news announcer, sports caster. If you are not people friendly then this job is not for you.



Therefore, I hope that people who are in radio or television will be checking in and learning things from myself. As I get into the business, I am working on now. I will now get on my Blog to keep you informed on a more regular basic. Even for the people who just like to keep informed and like to read Blogs.



All I know is that starting a business is not just an overnight thing that happens. It is allot of hard work because of the simple fact that there is so much preparation, paperwork, overhead and knowledge to get you there and then as your business will thrive or die is how hard you work at it. You are the boss.



Well now, I have to get back to the business of it. All because when your flying solo at the start you are the whole biz which means eighteen to twenty hours a day at the moment because of the work I am doing which by the way if you can do it yourself then you will actually be saving yourself allot of headaches and cash.

Of course depending of the vision now, which I believe, will flourish considerable, I hope to expand the idea into the new media forum I have envisioned for the future. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment